Self-Defense Classes Chesterfield, MO. Being in unfamiliar territory in an unknown situation is unsettling. But add an intimidating figure closing in on you, and it’s terrifying. No one should ever be put in that situation, no matter your age, size, speed, or strength. Yet, an estimated 1.9 million women and 3.2 million men are physically assaulted annually in the United States. Additionally, one out of every five (20.2 percent) students report being bullied and 41 percent of those kids indicated that they think the bullying would happen again.
Let’s put an end to those daunting statistics. Self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield give you, as well as your kids, the tools, the power, and the wherewithal to protect yourself in the face of danger. Call us at 314-861-9635 or contact us online to schedule your first class.
Everyone should know the basics of how to defend themselves, let the experts behind the self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield show you how. We offer programs for the entire family — children, kids and teens self-defense, or men’s and women’s self-defense classes.
We honor the core values of Gracie Barra, which are:
- Brotherhood: Helping and encouraging fellow teammates
- Integrity: Honoring the martial art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and upholding values and traditions
- Development: Sharing the life-changing aspects of martial arts with any student that wishes to learn, regardless of age, size, or skill level
Reasons to sign up for self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield include:
- Over 61 years of martial arts knowledge
- Stress relief workouts
- The world’s #1 martial arts team
- Unique Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu philosophy
- Accomplished Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructors
- Welcoming and challenging environment
- Martial arts tradition originating from Japan and Brazil
- Diet education
Do Gracie Barra Chesterfield Self-Defense Classes Help Prevent Bullying?
Bullying is a serious issue for children, on both ends of the spectrum. Approximately 160,000 students in the U.S. miss at least one day of school a month due primarily to bullying. One study by the National Institutes of Health found that 60 percent of boys who were bullies in 6th-9th grades had at least one criminal conviction by age 24 and 40 percent of these boys had three or more convictions by this time.
Enrolling your kids in a martial arts based self-defense class at Gracie Barra Chesterfield is one of the best actions you can take as a parent to prevent bullying. By developing the following characteristics, our knowledgeable instructors instill a foundational belief of self-assurance in your kids:
- Confidence: Bullies pick victims that they think will be easy targets. Self-defense classes help stop bullying by building up your childrens’ confidence so that they are able to project an aura of strength.
- Discipline: Victims of bullying can sometimes make things worse for themselves by acting in ways that make it easy for others to taunt or threaten them. Self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield help stop bullying by teaching your kids the discipline to manage their behavior in such a way as to not provoke or trigger a bully, but still remain confident.
- Respect: Being bullied can often shatter your child’s self-esteem and lead to a low self-image and loss of self-worth. In fact, that’s one of the early warning signs of bullying. Self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield helps stop bullying by showing your children that if they want others to respect them, they first must learn to respect themselves.
- Self-control: Victims of bullying often are not adept at recognizing what kind of behavior triggers a bully to lash out. Self-defense classes help stop bullying by empowering your kids to control their own behaviors in such a way that will halt a negative situation from spiraling into conflict or violence.
- Leadership: Bullies often target kids who are less popular. So if your kids have few friends, this social isolation can put them at a greater risk of being bullied. Self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield help stop bullying by training your children to be more sociable and help them make friends more easily.
- Stress relief: Learning self-defense at Gracie Barra Chesterfield helps your children relieve stress, clear their minds, and return to a more balanced mental state.
What Are the Benefits of Enrolling in Self-Defense Classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield?
Nothing feels better than knowing that you can take care of yourself – both mentally and physically. Being able to protect yourself in unfamiliar territory against an attacker is a confidence booster as much as it is reassurance. Self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield are instrumental in your psyche and well-being. They also assist by boosting your social skills and instilling peace and balance in your general outlook.
Some of the top reasons self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield are beneficial to everyone include:
- They improve your safety and street awareness
- They work on your balance
- They help improve your physical conditioning
- They help develop a fighting spirit
- They help you develop a fighter’s reflex
- They have a positive influence on your life
First and foremost, Gracie Barra Chesterfield self-defense classes provide the ability to protect yourself and overcome an attacker. You are never planning to be attacked, but your attacker is the one with the plan. In our self-defense classes, we’ll prepare you to be aware of your surroundings at all times. You might be surprised for a moment, but you’ll have the necessary skills to protect yourself from an attacker.
Improving your balance not only includes the physical balance utilizing your core muscles, but mental balance by improving your focus. Gracie Barra Chesterfield self-defense classes teach you how to focus on your target while you control your body, essentially being able to do two things at once without falling over. Without balance it’s almost impossible to defend yourself.
Physical conditioning is vital when it comes to self-defense. When someone comes after you, you’ll experience an adrenaline rush. If you are prepared, you’ll embrace it, and be more successful in a dangerous situation. Training and practicing with the best at Gracie Barra Chesterfield prepares you for when a situation arises that requires you to fight.
Taking self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield will help you develop a fighting spirit, one that essentially screams: “No, you’re not going to defeat me!” Our self-defense classes not only prepare you to be able to defend yourself but, more importantly, how to survive. Call us today at 314-861-9635 or contact us online.
Fighter’s reflex allows you to move quickly and smartly in any situation. You will know where/when to move and where/when to throw your strike. In a fight, movement is power. You need to move, you can’t stand around and wait for your attacker’s next strike. And quickly. Gracie Barra self-defense classes help develop your reflexes.
Unlike a lot of things in life, taking self-defense classes will always have a positive impact on your life, boosting your spirits and improving your confidence. It is important to have things in life that we can rely on to make us happy – self-defense classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield do just that.
Give us a call at 314-861-9635 or contact us online. For more information on Gracie Barra Chesterfield, you can visit our conveniently located gym, check out what other members have to say about us, or click the links below:
The Development of Women’s Self-Defense Classes at Gracie Barra Chesterfield
There was once a historic simple-mindedness prevalent in our society for far too long — men must protect their wives/girlfriends at all times. In short, the majority felt that men should be the ones taking self-defense classes. Not anymore, and for good reason. Self-defense classes for women have become more popular as a way for women to feel safer and more prepared to fend off violent attacks. Many women assume that they are more likely to be attacked while walking alone in public during the night or early morning. While this certainly does happen, women are more likely to be victims of violence at the hands of someone they know and trust, including intimate partners.
According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, approximately 1 in 4 women have been victims of extreme violence including strangling, beating, or burning. Almost half of the victims (46.7 percent) say they were assaulted by an acquaintance. This is why self-defense for women is so important. Three independent studies compiled by the University of Oregon found that women who complete a self-defense course are at least 50-60 percent less likely to be a victim of assault.
Enroll the Entire Family in Self-Defense Classes | Gracie Barra Chesterfield
The Gracie Barra Chesterfield self-defense classes cover a variety of situations and techniques so that you will be prepared for anything an attacker may throw at you. No matter the age, size, speed, or strength, we will turn you and your kids into confident people who can defend yourselves. No matter who attacks or bullies you. No matter when or where.
We are sure you will find our school an exciting and challenging place that will allow you to grow as a person and achieve your goals. If you are interested in self-defense classes, give us a call at 314-861-9635 or contact us online for more information or for a tour of our gym.